- Practice What You Teach: Keeping Teaching Real through the Evolution of Your Personal Practice
- It's All in the Hips, Or Is It?
- Day or Night? Body and Mind Considerations for Scheduling Your Yoga Practice
- This Yoga Love Affair (Part Two): Making it Last a Lifetime
- This Yoga Love Affair: A Collage of Views on How to Keep Your Yoga Practice Sustainable Over One Year
- To Be Thankful Without Grasping and Real Without Apologizing
- When Burnout Knocks: The Struggle of Keeping Teaching Healthy, Honest, and Vibrant
- Living Yoga Off The Mat
- Tuning Up Mind and Body: How Yoga and Sound Therapy Work in Harmony
- Making It to the Mat: What Yoga Teachers Need to Know About the Most Difficult Part of the Practice
Best Foods for Detoxification
Toxicity and detoxification are incredibly timely subjects because most of our modern diseases are caused by toxicity. In fact, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), toxicity is responsible for 80% of cancers today.
There’s no need to follow an extreme juice cleanse or any other fad detox diet as long as you’re eating the right foods. We actually give our bodies the right type of cleanse every day by mindfully choosing what we eat. As yoga students and yoga teachers evolving our health and the health of our students, it’s necessary to know exactly what foods and herbs help support the body in its natural detoxification process.
First, we eliminate the toxicity – think GMO’s, sugary-laden treats and foods sprayed with chemicals. Then, we integrate the good stuff. The good stuff looks like this:
Milk thistle is probably the best herb for liver detoxification. Scientific studies show that milk thistle even helps the body detoxify from chemotherapy and radiation. It helps re-build the liver in even the most extreme cases.
Probiotics like kefir, kombucha and sauerkraut support natural detoxification. They work to detoxify the colon, while helping the body produce vitamins and minerals which help get rid of the bad stuff. Gut health is essential for daily detoxification and probiotics are the best foods to keep the gut healthy and vital.
Turmeric protects us against free radical damage. It protects the body from becoming vulnerable to cancer and inflammation associated with most diseases. Tumeric is fascinating spice that, when used in cooking daily, can literally save your life!
Chlorella binds to heavy metals, helping to drive these metals out of the body. It helps with radiation exposure as well. We get radiation from air travel and cell phones, for starters. This radiation exposure can build up over time and cause disease. Take a powdered chlorella supplement or super food greens powder with chlorella every day to drive this toxicity out of the body.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar works because of its acetic acid and enzymes which support probiotic growth. It also aids in weight loss. Take a tablespoon every day, preferably before meals.
Green Leafy Vegetables
Green leafy veggies like cilantro, kale, collards and spinach are the best vegetables to eat if you want to do away with toxic buildup. Juice these veggies or cook them – whichever you prefer.