Born from a deep desire to feel and express ones relationship to the divine, Bhakti Yoga offers a way to connect the spiritual heart with everyday life experience.
Become part of the global Bhakti Yoga community. Together we will explore many different devotional practices. You will learn to share traditional as well as contemporary mantras and kirtans. You will receive personal instruction on how to play Indian Bhakti Yoga instruments, such as harmonium, sitar, tamboura, shruti box, drums, and kartals. Instruments will be provided or you can bring your own, if you enjoy playing the guitar, bring it and learn to play mantras/kirtans.
Learn how Bhakti developed in the yogic tradition, participate in study groups to discuss and apply the wisdom from ancient Yogic texts, such as the Bhagavad Gita, Narada's Bhakti Sutras, and the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra. Learn and share mythological stories about Gods and Goddesses, and find out about the origin and stories behind many of the mantras and asanas. Become familiar with the Bhakti Yogis of India, such as Ananda Mayi Ma, Sri Caitanya and the wandering mystic Mirabai.
Heal and unravel your heart's radiant nature. Bhakti is a world of overflowing love, Yoga's sweetest path to enlightenment. Through Ishvarapranidhana - love and reverence for the essence of life - we look forward to support you in your individual expression of Bhakti Yoga.
Topics Explored in the Bhakti Yoga Training:
- What is Bhakti Yoga
- Sanskrit Mantra and Kirtan
- Sargam - Indian Musical Notation - discover your SA (voice foundation note)
- Instrument Classes - harmonium, shruti box, tamboura, dotar, sitar, dilruba, kartals, drums
- Sound Healing with Tibetan Bowls and Bells
- Ancient Yogic Texts and Stories
- The History and Development of Bhakti Yoga
- The Relationship of Guru (teacher) and Shishya (student)
- Mudra, Mudra Meditation Kriya, Nyasa (blessing of the physical body)
- Puja (ceremony) and Arati (offering light with a traditional Indian oil lamp)
- Sacred food - learn a chant to bless your food and learn to prepare prasadam - blessed food.
The lead teacher of the Bhakti Yoga training is Mercy Ananda (M.A., E-RYT500). Mercy Ananda is a highly trained musician as well as certified sound healer. She performs on the many kirtan albums produced by the Mount Madonna Center, Hanuman Fellowship. She is a member of the Sacred Sound Choir with Karuna Ault, and chants on their "Mahamrityunjaya Healing Mantra" album. Mercy also performs on many other kirtan albums, including the "Shri Ram Jaya Ram" album by Shri Anandi Ma.
Mercy has a daily bhakti yoga sadhana of asana, meditation and mantra. Through her love of Bhakti yoga she has p articipated in the satsangs of teachers such as Baba Hari Das, Sri Satchidananda, Anandi Ma, Sri Karunamayi, and Sri Mata Amritanandamayi.
Mercy Ananda received a Bachelor's Degree in Music, with classical violin focus, from UCSC in 2003. In 2005 she completed an M.A. in Music Composition, focusing on Ethnic and East Indian Music. She studied classical East Indian music with Maestros Ali Akbar Khan and Deepak Ram. She plays harmonium and several traditional devotional instruments, including the sitar, and has lead satsangs for over 25 years.
Mercy believes that "Bhakti Yoga creates a presence and resonance of healing and love." She is an experienced certified Yoga Teacher and express her service through the sharing her heartfelt love of Yoga with her students.
*Please note, the travel days are the first and last day of the posted training dates. Please schedule your arrival/departure accordingly.
- Prerequisite: If you intend to complete your 300-hour certification, a 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training Certificate from Yandara yoga Institute, or other Yoga Alliance approved 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training is required. We also welcome all serious yoga students/teachers who are interested in further study even if you don’t intend to complete a 300-hour certification.
- Preparatory Study: Purchase, read and contemplate on "Be Here Now" by Ram Dass.
- Contact hours: 90 hours
- Non-contact hours: 10 hours (to be fulfilled by home study)
- Program Cost: $1,550 USD. Tuition, meals and accommodation in one of our deluxe tents are included. Airport transportation and study materials are not included in the price. Canadian residence may be eligible for an "exchange rate" scholarship, contact us for details. For more accommodation options please see the bottom of our Baja Training Programs pages. If you wish to bring your own tent, a discount of $75 USD off tuition will be given.
**Reiki Level III/Master Training is held on Nov. 13, 2016, directly after the Yin /Bhakti Training and before the 300hr Core Module. Please see the Reiki page for more information.